It all started in 1814

In 2014, First Presbyterian Church of Reading, Pennsylvania, observed its 200th anniversary. For all but the first 34 years, the stately stone Gothic church has occupied a prominent site in the heart of Reading. John Ferguson Grier, established a congregation in 1814 which met in the Old Academy, a school where he served as a teacher five days a week and the pastor on Sunday.  


Our home for 170 years, the Gothic church on 5th & Cherry with the 95-foot high Norman bell tower was completed in 1848. Renovated multiple times to give us more practical space for our music ministry and Christian education, the famous Leonids Linauts stained glass windows in our sanctuary were added in 1967. The building was sold in 2018 in anticipation of our move to the next phase of our congregation’s life.